Chemical Immobilization Workshop
If you must do it, do it properly and professionally. Animal Control Officers must use chemical immobilization for capture purposes only as a last resort. When you have reached your final option, do you know how to safely achieve chemical capture lessening the liability for you and your employer?
Personnel need to know:
- How to write a chemical immobilization policy for your agency.
- The responsibilities associated with the use of remote chemical immobilization.
- The legal considerations and required record keeping.
- How to evaluate situations for appropriate application of chemical immobilization.
- The proper dosage and administration techniques for drugs used.
- The post-immobilization procedures that ensure humane treatment of the subject animal.
- What steps to ensure public and personnel safety.
- How to handle the media and public during the incident.
- How to handle and use chemical immobilization equipment.
NACA has initially discussed what training for chemical capture will look like in 2021 but do not have a schedule at this time. Please continue to check back late winter to early spring for information on this course.